Search This Blog

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Lost, One Soul - by Sandy McIntosh

I lost my soul in a fit of temper
I threw it at somebody's head
and slammed out
without a second thought
      Then I dumped it in a wastebin 
      along with a love I said I was finished with
I sandpapered my spitit
with a million
bitter barbs
and sent it into orbit
and substituted
guilt instead
      My soul went cold
      with memories of old friends and kin
      who never expected
      to be neglected
      and resolutions
      I'd eluded
Then one day I went to feed it 
and it was gone
and now I hear it howling
in the wind outside
in the nights
in the hills
        and I get the chills inside
and hide in something that's not important
and it's four in the morning before I can get warm enough
to weep enough
to fall asleep

No comments:

Post a Comment